Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Voyage/Roadmap To Purity

In a previous post I've shared with you parts of my testimony and my destination to purity, But I left out the journey to get to the point of sexual purity. I want to take you on a trip with me as we explore my quest for sexual freedom. These five steps were critical in breaking the chains that had me bound. 1. Repent: I know as believers of the body of Christ we often hear this word but we never grasp the weight this word carries. When we repent it's not about us crying to God telling Him how sorry we are, And we'll never do it again and turn right around and commit the same sin. True repentance comes when we not only cry out to God asking for forgiveness, But began to despise the very sin we were in. We began to hate the sin He hates. True repentance comes when we change our thoughts and desires to His and our hearts transforms more like his. We show true change when we completely stop the sin.   2. Cut of all soul tie: For me I think this was the hardest steps. Once we've opened ourselves to sexual sin we become attached to these people without really understanding why. Our souls have connected with them on a much deeper level then just a regular person. This goes back to why God designed sex for marriage. He wants us to feel thats closeness with our spouse and no one else. We as sinners deviated  from the plan and caused so much heartache and confusion on ourselves because we are connecting with all kinds of spirits God hasn't ordained. Although we've messed up, The good news is Jesus Christ came to conquer all of that. To be free from soul ties we must pray for deliverance and ask Him to remove them, Secondly cut off all communication with these people. Text messages, Phone calls, Emails, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Where ever you have them. I know it seems a bit over the top but its absolutely necessary. If you leave these doors open you give them free reign to come back in your life, Bring up old memories of all the fun you guys had, And cause you to slip back into sin. Don't give the devil and lead way or open doors to cause you to disobey God's instructions. No one should have that much power over you.  3. Change my circle of friends: I know many of us have friends that we love as family members. Some of the most giving, caring, and loving people, But how do they influence us? Do they plant seeds in our hearts which causes us to sin, Or be more relaxed in our walk with Jesus? I had a friend that I loved with all my heart! She was loving, Caring, And always giving without expecting in return. Just a genuine person, but living for God was so far from her mind. When together all we did was shop, club, drink, and met men. I knew she wasn't good for me but she was my girl and I loved her. As time went on I got really tired of that life and wanted no parts of it. I started praying asking God to give me a way out of the friendship without hurting her. The more I prayed He began to remove her little by little  until the friendship was non existent. As followers of Christ we need accountability partners. Accountability Partners reminds us of the pack we made with God and won't let us give up. They give us the Word of God even if it hurt us, They don't pacify our feelings but tell us whats right from wrong. Our spiritual growth is more important to them than our feelings. They push us to greatness, and all God has called us to be. Our accountability partners cover us in prayer constantly, but also pray with us. We are able to have good clean fun that is still glorifying to God. If you don't have this kind of person around you need to reevaluate your circle.  4. Change the type of music, movies, and books we allow: Ok so this one was a huge one for  me but I think it was the most imperative to the process. I absolutely love music, It's something I can't imagine life without. R&B and Neo soul just does something to my heart like seriously lol. As I began to find my purity I would pray and fast often to help me come out but I couldn't figure out why I would fall or couldn't change my thoughts about sexual things. One day while reading the Bible The Lord led me to Proverbs 4:23 " Above all else guard your heart, for out of it the issues of life flow" At that moment I understood why I was still struggling. I failed at guarding my heart with my music. The music was planting bad seeds in my heart and my mind watered them. This is where my thoughts stemmed from and took my mind back to a place where I did those things talked about in the song. Maybe music isn't a big deal for you like it is for me, but what ever it is causing you to fall shut it down immediately!!! Satan isn't playing so don't play with him. He's out to steal, kill, and destroy us as believers. If he can control us with sexual sin he knows he can delay us from our purpose God has given us. It's a cycle that repeats it's self. We sin, feel bad, satan makes us feel unworthy to approach God, we stop praying, and before you know it years have passed by and we're still in the same place struggling with finding our purpose. Satan knows if he can distract you from praying he can keep us bound. It's not worth aborting your purpose for instant gratification.  5. Rely on His strength not your own: During my quest this was a step that honestly had to be learned. After a few months after abstaining I thought I had it down to a science. I felt like I was on top of the world and out of the clear, which was so far from the truth. I started back dating but this time sex was completely moved out of the equation. I would go to dinner, catch a movie, just a lot of activities thats required us to be close with one another. I found myself back with these sexual feelings and thoughts. I felt like I was going to fail God all over again. I couldn't figure out why this was happening to me, I thought I'd beat this thing! I began to cry out to The Lord asking Him for help. At that moment He spoke to me and said" My strength is made perfect in your weakness". He became my help not just a God I prayed to. Our relationship became interactive. I came to the conclusion that He is present help when we need it but, we have to ask for it and rely solely on Him and not our own abilities. Our own abilities fail us every time. As I sought after his strength he began to set new standards for the types of dates I went on. No activities where it required us to be close and affectionate. See when He becomes your helper He gives you wisdom which allows you not to put yourself in certain situations. He always gives us a way out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment